Opening Hours: 9:00am - 6:00pm
Telephone:020 7234 2009
There is an increasing interest in treatments that can reset the immune system such as Haemopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT). The HSCT team at London Bridge Hospital are pleased to be able to offer HSCT for Multiple Sclerosis and other autoimmune disorders. Led by Dr Majid Kazmi who has performed the greatest number of these transplants in the UK we have a dedicated multidisciplinary team that can ensure you are cared for every step of the way.
There is accumulating evidence of the benefit that HSCT can have in selected patients with MS. We will discuss all patients in our multidisciplinary meeting and recommend HSCT if you fulfil our criteria for active MS.
The current criteria for MS are:
- Diagnosis of MS made by a neurologist
- Able in relapsing MS (RMS), failed one licensed disease modifying drug of high efficacy (currently including alemtuzumab and natalizumab) because of demonstrated lack of efficacy
- If New MRI activity within last 12 months
- Age 18 to 65 years
- Disease duration ≤15 years from diagnosis of MS PPMS, CSF OCB+
- For RMS, failed at least one licensed disease modifying drug of high efficacy currently including alemtuzumab and natalizumab) because of demonstrated lack of efficacy (as evident from relapse, MRI activity as defined below at Point 7, or EDSS increase) after being on DMT for at least 6 months
- EDSS score 0-6..5
- In Inflammatory active MS as defined by ≥1 Gd+ (>3mm) lesion (off steroids for one month) or ≥2 new T2 lesions in MRI within last 12 month