29-33 Tooley Street
Numbers 29-33 Tooley Street, which house the
London Bridge Hospital’s Women’s Centre, were
built in 1860 as shipping offices. Through much of
the later nineteenth century, most of Tooley Street
was fronted by very similar four-storey buildings.
These were progressively replaced by the end of the
century with huge six-storey warehouse fronts on the
north side of Tooley Street, and on the south side by
the ever-widening railway viaduct to the busy
London Bridge Station.
In the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, Tooley
Street became a dock road, serving the giant
warehouses of the Pool of London, whereas before
it had been a route of pilgrimage to Bermondsey
Abbey, crossing various fish-filled streams, fronted
by a whole series of large church palaces and the
riverside town houses of the church dignitaries.