(Incorporating Denmark House)
Emblem House and Denmark House, which house
the London Bridge Hospital’s Outpatient Centre, were
both built in 1900 as shipping and general offices.
The larger Emblem House has an interesting facade all
in faience, and Denmark House has a large intricate
stone sculpture at roof level showing a merchant
ship. This is typical of the offices that served the
adjacent wharves, all bringing in many varieties of
food products, so much so that this side of the Pool of
London was known as the ‘Larder of London’.
The extensive cellars were used for storage, including
the Tsar of Russia’s silver reserves, and later that of
Lenin’s, which were shipped out of the building when
necessary in a plain-looking bread delivery van.